Saturday, April 20, 2013

I've Been UPSIZED: Chapter 10

I Wonder Why the Caged Bird Sings

Sitting in my cozy little cubical, I would watch the cars pass by and wonder where they were going. Wherever it was, I was sure it was better than the grey, drab walls of my confinement. So the emotions that came along with my downsized job surprised me. I suddenly longed for the comfort and safety of my cubical cocoon.

The Search for a New Nest

Certain that the safety of a new cubical would sooth me, I set out on the job search. I suppose it’s a bit like the rescued and rehabilitated bird. It may be ready to fly, but refuses to leave the cage when a team tries to set it free. So, like the bird, I tried to return to my cozy nest in the cage.

Trading the Cage for a Sanctuary
After two months at home, I began to see things differently. There were so many benefits to my new work space. I will list them here:

1.    Every day is bring your dog to work day! There’s nothing like a Golden Retriever at your feet to ease the stress of a deadline.

2.    The coffee is always fresh (and real)! I suppose it’s not polite to complain about something provided free of charge, but condensed liquid, reconstituted ‘coffee’ leaves a lot to be desired.

3.    Every office has a window! No matter where I perch myself, there is always a great view.

4.    Like Google, in this office, a food source is never far away! Okay, maybe this is not such a benefit.

5.    Every day is casual Friday! I declare every day sweat pants day (which is fortunate, since, due to the aforementioned food source, my other pants aren’t fitting so well).

6.    In house interns! Sure, they get time off for school each day, but once they walk back in that door, it’s time to earn their keep.

7.    Early and late lunch! Okay, this one is bad too. Good thing it’s sweat pants day.
Time to Fly

So begins the second chapter of my journey. Something new is coming. Something big. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to what you're saying. I found that immediately I set forth to find a job that was as close as possible to what I was doing. Now I crave everything NEW and EXCITING. I've definitely learned that nothing is forever, so I take a new path and if it doesn't work out, I switch paths. It's relieving to know that I'm in the driver's seat this time. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete