Thursday, June 6, 2013

I've Been UPSIZED: Chapter 12

My Greatest Achievement

What a roller coaster ride this year has been. I’ve lived the peaceful existence of corporate stability, the emotional crash of being downsized, the confusion of figuring out who I am, and the excitement and fear of launching a business.
All of those things came into sharp focus today when I read my daughter’s second grade journal. Like the narrator of a story that pulls you in, she was following my story the entire time, pulling for me like an audience feeling the pain of a wounded hero. “My mom lost her job, but she’s not giving up,” she wrote in February. “I’m so proud of my mom,” she wrote in March. On a separate paper, she made a list of her personal heroes: Abraham Lincoln, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Kristina Marsh. I could live 100 years and never receive a higher compliment.
Of Support and Love
Today, I attended the year end field day and picnic at my daughter’s school. I learned that she had been handing out business cards at school, trying to drum up some business for me. Talk about a support system! But even more so, talk about the love of a daughter.
My greatest achievement hasn’t been surviving a challenging year, landing a writing gig, or launching a new business. It’s realizing that we’ve raised two amazing children who love us unconditionally. I’ve always known that I’ll have my children’s backs no matter what life throws at them. It took this year for me to realize that they have mine too.
Kristina Marsh is an accomplished marketing, communications, and business process leader.  In 2013, she launched Marketing Flexibility, LLC, a flexible, strategic marketing resource company. Want to connect? You can reach me at kris@marketingflexibility.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment