Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I've Been UPSIZED: Chapter 20

Today, I stumbled across an article about year-end performance reviews. As others are getting nerved up about giving or receiving the dreaded annual feedback, I smirked with satisfaction knowing I’d found another reason to be grateful for my downsized job. Let’s be honest, performance reviews are uncomfortable at best, and painful at worst.

Here are a few of my favorite performance review memories from past corporate life:

·         The year I went into my performance review on January 25th and my manager asked where I was on July 10th. I don’t know about you, but it’s a struggle for me to recall where I was six days ago, let alone six months ago!

·         The year I went into my performance review and was told I should be more assertive with my ideas and opinions – followed by the subsequent year when I was told I should be less assertive with my ideas and opinions. Hugh?

·         The year I went into my performance review, spoke for 45 minutes about my goals and accomplishments and the manager responded with, “I like your necklace.” Uhh, thanks?

So, here’s to everyone who will be enduring the dreaded annual performance reviews this year. Just hold your head high, bring your daily journal, be assertive – or not, and wear a fabulous necklace!
 
What's your favorite performance review memory? Let us know in the comments!
 
Kristina Marsh is an accomplished marketing, communications, and business process leader.  In 2013, she launched Marketing Flexibility, LLC, a flexible, strategic marketing resource company. Want to connect? You can reach her at kris@marketingflexibility.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment