Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I've Been UPSIZED: Chapter 18

Shedding the last of Corporate America

As I’ve worked to rebuild my life, career and happiness this year, there has been one little thing staring back at me and making me a bit uncomfortable. I mean, literally, staring back at me. It was my profile picture, taken as a professional business shot when I worked in Corporate America. Oh sure, it was nice. Very appropriate, Photo Shopped to remove each imperfection, and every hair in place. But, over the past eight months, it started to taunt me. Who was this person? She looked so together, so professional, so…. boring!
Time for a New Image

No, I don’t mean the makeover kind, I mean the literal kind. I needed a new electronic image. A new profile pic. One which reflects that I’m human and not a Stepford Wife. So, I called up my good friends at Titus Photography to hook me up!

When picture day came, I suddenly felt awkward. I started questioning whether I was being ridiculous and my current profile pic was, in fact, just fine. Or, maybe I was just trying to talk myself out of it. Let’s face it – no one likes picture day at school. It’s too much work. What should I wear? How should I smile? Is that a zit on my chin?!
But, drawing on my 2013 theme of what do I have to lose, I summoned the courage and trekked to the studio. It felt a lot like the high school senior picture session I had 22 years ago – with Spanx replacing spandex and under-eye concealer replacing eyeliner in the 2013 version.
How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

After the session, I waited for delivery of my images. When the CD arrived in the mail, I popped it in to survey the results. On initial look, I thought, “Wow! These look great!” Then I noticed something I hadn’t seen in my Corporate America photos. I looked really, really happy. Like, dog hanging her head out the window on a summer day happy. Wow, I guess self-employment really agrees with me! I looked through the images until I found the perfect profile pic. One that reflects my personality and happiness, but was also taken later in the session, giving my face muscles time to tire out and loosen up that Cocker Spaniel smile.
So, I give you the new and improved Kristina Marsh profile pic! No more Corporate America staring back at me from the corner of my social media screens. Thanks, Titus Photography, for helping me shed the last of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment