Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I've Been UPSIZED: Chapter 17

I never saw it coming, but it happened last Friday. Perhaps it was the weather. We woke up to a beautiful, crisp day in Michigan. It was beginning to feel like fall and the changing seasons always did invigorate me. Maybe that’s why I’ve stayed planted in Michigan so long, despite the bitter cold of winter.

When I woke up on Friday, the stress and underlying anxiety I’ve felt since being laid off in January seemed to have disappeared. I’m not sure where it went, and I sure hope it doesn’t find its way back! In fact, despite the uncertainty that comes with owning my own business, I found myself thinking that layoff just may have been the best thing that ever happened to me.  

Let’s break down the 24 hours leading up to this:

9:00 a.m., Thursday, I went to the dentist for my semi-annual checkup. No cavities! Off to a good start!

1:30 p.m., Thursday, I went to a client meeting, where I was told I had earned my fee in the value I provided two weeks into a four week project. Not bad for the ego! I’ll still show up next week.

4:30 p.m., Thursday, I discovered my favorite apple orchard had opened for the season. Now, if you’re not from Michigan, you may not understand how loyal we are to our favorite caramel apples and cider donuts. They’re only available for a limited time every year, people! I scored my favorite, nutty chocolate chip caramel apple, and headed home.

6:00 p.m., Thursday, I drove carpool duty for my son’s football team. I love football season! GO LANCERS!!!

9:00 p.m., Thursday, I arrived home from carpool duty to find my favorite pasta take out waiting for me. GO HUSBAND!!!

7:30 a.m., Friday, I met a great friend for breakfast. As she filled me in on the latest office drama and politics, I realized how thankful I am to be removed from it all. The last drama in the Marketing Flexibility office revolved around who ate the last Oreo (I’m looking at you, interns)!

10:00 a.m., Friday, I met a former colleague for coffee. As we discussed his new venture, my new company, and shared ideas, I felt the last regret and disappointment slip away. In fact, I realized that I had been unsatisfied, restless and feeling stuck for two years prior to being downsized. Hmm. Maybe everything does happen for a reason?

As I write this, an intern just lifted a Crispy Fudge Mint off from my desk. I tell you, if it’s not an Oreo, it’s a Crispy Fudge Mint! The drama around here never ends!
Kristina Marsh is an accomplished marketing, communications, and business process leader.  In 2013, she launched Marketing Flexibility, LLC, a flexible, strategic marketing resource company. Want to connect? You can reach me at kris@marketingflexibility.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment